Click to donate today!
Joash repairs the Temple
2. All his days] According to 2 Chronicles 24:17.; Joash took to evil courses after the death of Jehoiada.
3. The high places, etc.] The worship at the ’high places’ was first abolished by Hezekiah, and then, after its renewal by Manasseh, by Josiah.
4. The money.. is set at] RV ’the money of the persons for whom each man is rated.’ The money devoted to the repair of the Temple was that received for (a) the supply of vessels dedicated to the Temple services; (b) the redemption of vows (Leviticus 27:2-8); (c) free-will offerings. According to 2 Chronicles 24:6, 2 Chronicles 24:9 the chief source of the money was the halfshekel appointed by Moses to be paid by every Israelite for the maintenance of the Tent of the Testimony (Exodus 30:11-16). The account] RM ’the numbering.’
9. The altar] i.e. the altar of burnt offering, outside the Temple building: cp. 2 Chronicles 24:8. The door would be the entrance into the Temple court.
11. Told] RV, ’weighed out.’
13. There were not made] 2 Chronicles 24:14 has ’were made,’ perhaps having in view the surplus remaining after the repairs of the Temple were completed.
16. The trespass money, etc.] RV ’money for guilt offerings and money for sin offerings.’ Some suppose that fines are meant, but the money may have been applied to the purchase of victims for sacrifices: see Leviticus 4, 5.
17. Gath] one of the five Philistine cities; to reach it Hazael must have marched through the kingdom of Israel, and his, invasion is probably to be connected with the attacks upon Jehu and Jehoahaz (2 Kings 10:32; 2 Kings 13:3-4). For the movement upon Jerusalem see 2 Chronicles 24:23-24, where it is stated that Jehoash sustained a severe defeat before he surrendered his treasure.
19. The rest of the acts of Joash] see 2 Chronicles 24:17-27 which relates that after Jehoiada’s death Joash departed from the Lord, and even killed Zechariah, the son of Jehoiada, who had rebuked him for his idolatry.
20. The house of Millo] If Millo was a fort in Jerusalem (see on 1 Kings 9:15) ’the house’ was perhaps a palace attached to it.
21. Jozachar] in 2 Chronicles 24:26 (where ’Jozachar’ is corrupted into ’Zabad’) the conspiracy is described as intended to avenge the death of Zechariah: see on 2 Chronicles 24:19.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 2 Kings 12". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Second Week of Advent