Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Reign of Jehokam
This chapter in part reproduces 2 Kings 8:17-22 but adds several particulars respecting the judgments brought upon Jehoram.
2. Azariah.. Azariah] One of the names is probably an error, perhaps for ’Ahaziah’: cp. the mistake in 2 Chronicles 22:6.
3. And their father] cp. 2 Chronicles 11:23
10. So the Edomites revolted] The writer omits the final sentence in 2 Kings 8:21 which accounts for the successful revolt of the Edomites: see note there.
11. Fornication] A figure for religious infidelity.
12. A writing.. from Elijah] If this mention of Elijah as living in the reign of Jehoram is to be reconciled with 2 Kings 3:11, which relates that Elisha (Elijah’s successor) prophesied in the reign of Jehoshaphat, it must be supposed that Elisha entered upon his ministry before Elijah was translated; and that 2 Kings 2 is out of its proper chronological order. The incident here described is the only instance of Elijah having concerned himself with the affairs of Judah.
14. A great plague] i.e. the great blow inflicted by the invasion described in 2 Chronicles 21:16.
16. The lord stirred up] The invaders, though pursuing designs of their own, were really agents of the divine judgment: cp. 1 Chronicles 5:26; Isaiah 10:5-7; Isaiah 37:24-29. The Arabians.. Ethiopians] These Arabians came from the W. coast . of Arabia, facing Ethiopia across the Red Sea.
17. In the king’s house] better, ’belonging to the king’s house.’ It is not meant that the invaders assaulted Jerusalem, but that they carried off the royal property in the country districts. Jehoahaz] called in 2 Chronicles 22:1; ’Ahaziah.’
19. Made no burning, etc.] i.e. they did not use the same quantity of spices as were burnt at the funeral rites of former kings.
20. Departed.. desired] i.e. he died unregretted. But some (following LXX) render ’he walked (i.e. lived) in an undesirable way.’
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 2 Chronicles 21". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26