the Week of Proper 19 / Ordinary 24
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #6439 - פְּנִיאֵל
Penuel or Peniel = “facing God”
1) a Benjamite, son of Shashak, brother of Iphedeiah of the family of Saul (noun proper masculine)
2) son of Hur, father of Gedor, and a descendant of Judah (noun proper masculine)
3) the place named by Jacob when he wrestled with God and located on the north bank of the Jabbok close to the Jordan (noun proper locative)
1. location east of Jordan, near Jabbok Genesis 32:32; Judges 8:8 (twice in verse); Judges 8:9,17; 1 Kings 12:25 = מְּנִיאֵל Genesis 32:31: site unknown; see especially Paine Bib.Sac.1878,481ff.
2. masculine a. in Judah 1 Chronicles 4:4.
b. in Benjamin 1 Chronicles 8:25 Qr (Kt פניאל).
פְּנִיאֵל [Peniel], see the preceding, No. 1 and 2, a.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.