Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #040 - אֲבִימֶלֶךְ
Abimelech = “Melek is father” or “my father is king”
1) king of Gerar in Abraham’s time
2) king of Gath in David’s time; maybe title of Philistine kings
3) son of Gideon by a concubine
4) priest, son of Abiathar
אֲבִימֶלֶךְ (“father of the king,” or “father king”), [Abimelech], pr.n.
(1) of several kings in the land of the Philistines, living at different periods, Genesis 20:2, sqq.; 21:22, sqq.; 26 Genesis 21:26:l, sqq.; Psalms 34:1. As the same king, who in the Ps. loc. cit. is called Abimelech, is in 1 Samuel 21:11, called Achish (אָכִישׁ), this name or title appears to have been mostly common to them, like داد شاه Padishah (father king) of the Persian kings, and اتاليق Atalik (father, properly paternity) of the Khans of Bokhara.
(2) a son of Gideon, Judges 8:31, seq.; 9:1, seq.; 2 Samuel 11:21.
(3) 1 Chronicles 18:16, where indeed we probably should read אֲחִימֶלֶךְ, as 2 Samuel 8:17.
the Week of Proper 8 / Ordinary 13