Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #96 - ἀδόκιμος
- not standing the test, not approved
- properly used of metals and coins
- that which does not prove itself such as it ought
- unfit for, unproved, spurious, reprobate
1. not legal tender, not current, of coin, Pl. Lg. 742a; not approved, of horses, Arist. Ath. 49.1.
2. unsatisfactory, unconvincing, of a statement, Ph. Bel. 76.47, Alex.Aphr. in Top. 576.14.
3. disreputable, λακίσματ' ἀδόκιμ' ὀλβίοις ἔχειν E. Tr. 497; μοῦσα Pl. Lg. 829d, cf. D. 25.36, Romans 1:28. Adv. -μως Poll. 5.160.
4. of persons, Pl. R. 618b; discredited, reprobate, X. Lac. 3.3, 2 Timothy 3:8, etc.
ἀ -δόκιμος , -ον ,
[in LXX: Proverbs 25:4, Isaiah 1:22 (H5509)*;]
1. of things (prop.f metals: LXX, ll. c.), not standing the test, rejected: γῆ , Hebrews 6:8.
2. Of persons, rejected after testing, reprobate: Romans 1:28, 1 Corinthians 9:27, 2 Corinthians 13:5-7, 2 Timothy 3:8, Titus 1:16 (Cremer, 212).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
the Week of Proper 8 / Ordinary 13