the Week of Proper 3 / Ordinary 8
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #4889 - σύνδουλος
- a fellow servant, one who serves the same master with another
- the associate of a servant (or slave)
- one who with others serves (ministers to) a king
- a colleague of one who is Christ's servant in publishing the gospel
- one who with others acknowledges the same Lord, Jesus, and obeys his commands
- one who with others is subject to the same divine authority in the Messianic economy
- of angels as the fellow servants of Christians
σύνδουλ-ος, ὁ, ἡ,
fellow-slave, masc., Id. Ion 1109, Ar. Pax 745 (anap.), Theopomp.Com. 32.8, Lys. Fr. 331 S., Herod. 5.56, Matthew 18:29, etc.; fem., Hdt. 2.134, E. Med. 65, etc.; also fem. συνδούλη, Hdt. 1.110, Babr. 3.6.
2. metaph. in NT, Colossians 1:7, Revelation 6:11, al. (The statement of Moeris p.273 P., ὁμόδουλος Ἀττικῶς, σύνδουλος Ἑλληνικῶς, is incorrect: Poll. 3.82 distinguishes ς. 'slave of the same master' fr. ὁμόδουλος 'companion in slavery'.)
σύνδουλος, συνδούλου, ὁ (σύν and δοῦλος), a fellow-servant; one who serves the same master with another; thus used of
a. the associate of a servant (or slave) in the proper sense: Matthew 24:49.
b. one who with others serves (ministers to) a king: Matthew 18:28, 29, 31, 33.
c. the colleague of one who is Christ's servant in publishing the gospel: Colossians 1:7; Colossians 4:7 ((where cf. Lightfoot)).
d. one who with others acknowledges the same Lord, Jesus, and obeys his commands: Revelation 6:11.
e. one who with others is subject to the same divine authority in the Messianic economy: so of angels as the fellow-servants of Christians, Revelation 19:10; Revelation 22:9. (Moeris says, p. 273, ὁμόδουλος ἀττικως, σύνδουλος ἑλληνικως. But the word is used by Aristophanes, Euripides, Lysias.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
σύν -δουλος , -ου , ὁ ,
[in LXX: Ezra 4:7; Ezra 4:9; Ezra 4:17; Ezra 4:23; Ezra 5:3; Ezra 5:6; Ezra 6:6; Ezra 6:13 (H3674) *;]
a fellow-servant: Matthew 18:28-33; Matthew 24:49; of servants of the same divine Lord, Colossians 1:7; Colossians 4:7, Revelation 6:11; so of angels, Revelation 19:10; Revelation 22:9.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
a Christian of Rome (Romans 16:21), perhaps to be identified with Σώπατρος of Acts 20:4. The name under both forms is common : see reff. in Preisigke’s Namenbuck.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.