Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #4826 - Συμεών
Simon = "harkening"
- the second son of Jacob by Leah
- one of Abraham's descendants
- the one who took the infant Jesus in his arms in the temple
- a teacher at the church of Antioch
- the original name of Peter the apostle
Συμεών , ὁ ,
Simeon (so always AV; RV in Luke 2:25; Luke 2:34 only), Symeon, a Heb. name for which the Gk. Σίμων , q.v., was also used;
1. the son of Jacob (Genesis 29:33): Revelation 7:7.
2. An ancestor of our Lord: Luke 3:30.
3. An aged worshipper in the Temple: Luke 2:25; Luke 2:34.
4. One surnamed Niger: Acts 13:1.
5. The apostle Peter: Acts 15:14, 2 Peter 1:1 (R, txt., WH, txt., Σίμων ).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
";talk with"; (Acts 10:27) : cf. BGU II. 401.15 (as amended P. 356) (A.D. 618) φανερῶς συνομειλῶν μετὰ Θεοδώρας, and for the adj. see Vett. Val. p. 109.4 σύνοικος καὶ συνόμιλος γενόμενος.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.