the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #4451 - πύρωσις
- a burning
- the burning by which metals are roasted and reduced
- by a figure drawn from a refiners fire
- calamities or trials that test the character
πῠρ-ωσις, εως, ἡ, firing, burning, Thphr. HP 5.9.1 .
2. exposure to the action of fire, as in cooking, Arist. Pr. 928a24, Thphr. HP 7.7.2, Lap. 4,al.; ἡ ἐν τῷ ὑγρῷ π . boiling, Arist. Mete. 380b28; μαλακὴ π . Mnesith. ap. Ath. 8.357d .
3. proving by fire, LXX Proverbs 27:21; 1 Peter 4:12, Hsch.
4. cautery, Antyll. ap. Orib. 44.23.42 .
5. destruction by fire, γῆν πυρώσει ἀφανίζων J. AJ 1.11.4 .
II flame, Arist. Mete. 369b6 .
III metaph., burning desire, Sch. Ar. Pl. 975 . fever, S.E. P. 2.240: pl., feverish states, Hp. Loc.Hom. 27 .
2. inflammation, Epicur. Fr. 60; στομάχου Dsc. 2.124 .
πύρωσις, πυρώσεως, ἡ (πυρόω), a burning: Revelation 18:9, 18; the burning by which metals are roasted or reduced; by a figure drawn from the refiner's fire (on which cf. Proverbs 27:21), calamities or trials that test character: 1 Peter 4:12 (Tertullian adv. Gnost. 12 ne expavescatis ustionem, quae agitur in vobis in tentationem), cf. 1 Peter 1:7 ((ἡ πύρωσις τῆς δοκιμασίας, 'Teaching etc. 16, 5 [ET])). (In the same and other senses by Aristotle, Theophrastus, Plutarch, others.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
πύρωσις , -εως , ἡ
(< πυρόω ),
[in LXX: Proverbs 27:21 (H3564), Amos 4:9 (H7711) *;]
1. a burning: Revelation 18:9; Revelation 18:18.
2. a refining or trial by fire: metaph., 1 Peter 4:12.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
";Sapphira."; This proper name (Acts 5:1), which appears in various forms in the MSS., is probably derived from the Aramaic שַׁפִּירָא, ";beautiful,"; and should be accented on the penultimate, see Winer-Schmiedel Gr. p. 76.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.