the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #4339 - προσήλυτος
- a newcomer
- a stranger, alien
- a proselyte
- one who has come over from a Gentile religion to Judaism
one that has arrived at a place, stranger, sojourner, τῷ προσελθόντι προσηλύτῳ ib. Exodus 12:49, al.
II one who has come over to Judaism, convert, proselyte, Ph. 2.219, Ev.Matthew 23:15, Acts 2:10 .
προσήλυτος, προσηλύτου, ὁ (from προσέρχομαι, perfect προσελήλυθα, cf. Buttmann, 74 (64); (Winer's Grammar, 24, 26, 97 (92)));
1. a newcomer (Latinadvena; cf. πρός, IV. 1); a stranger, alien (Schol. ad Apoll. Rhod. 1, 834; the Sept. often for גֵּר (cf. Philo de monarch. 1, 7 at the beginning)).
2. a proselyte, i. e. one who has come over from a Gentile religion to Judaism (Luther, Judengenosse): Matthew 23:15; Acts 2:11 (
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
† προσήλυτος , -ον
(< προοελαύνω ),
[in LXX for H1616;]
1. one who has arrived, a stranger.
2. Of converts to Judaism, a proselyte (v. DB, s.v.): Matthew 23:15, Acts 2:10; Acts 6:5; Acts 13:43.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
P Oxy VI. 892.9 (A.D. 338) βορρινήν πύλην τῆς πόλεως, ";north gate of the city."; For πύλη followed by the name of a village in custom-house receipts cf. P Fay 68.1 (A.D. 158) τετέλ (εσται) δι (ὰ) πύλ (ης) Διονυ (σιάδος) ἐρη (μοφυλακίας), and see GH p. 195 ff. For the irregular dat. plur. in 3 Kingd 22.10 A, see Psaltes Gr. p. 174.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.