Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #3668 - ὁμοίως
- likewise, equally, in the same way
ὁμοί-ωσις, εως, ἡ,
1. a being made like, θεῷ Pl. Tht. 176b.
2. likeness, resemblance, Thphr. Lap. 41; opp. ἀλλοίωσις, Pl. R. 454c; καθ' ὁμοίωσιν θεοῦ James 3:9, cf. LXX Genesis 1:26.
3. establishment of a resemblance, τῆς ὁ. ἕνεκεν αὐτῆς λαμβάνεσθαι τὰς μεταφοράς Phld. Rh. 1.177 S. Gramm., comparison, -ώσεως ἐπιρρήματα D.T. 642.6.
4. simile, Ps.- Plu. Vit.Hom. 84,al.
5. Pythag. name for nine, Theol.Ar. 57.
(< ὅμοιος ),
likewise, in like manner, equally: Matthew 22:26, Mark 4:16, Luke 10:37, al.; c. dat., Matthew 22:39, Luke 6:31; ὁ . καί , Matthew 22:26, Mark 15:31, al.; ὁ . καθώς , Luke 17:28; καθὼς . . . ὁ ., Luke 6:31; ὁ . μέντοι καί , Judges 1:8.
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
An interesting ex. of this strong negative is afforded by P Oxy II. 294.15 (A.D. 22) (= Selections, p. 35), where a man, who is anxious regarding certain news, writes to his brother—ἐγὼ δὲ αὐτὸς οὔπω οὐδὲ ἐνήλεπα (= ἐναλήλιφα ἐμαυτὸν) ἕως ἀκούσω φάσιν παρὰ σοῦ περὶ ἁπάντων, ";I am not so much as anointing myself until I hear word from you on each point"; (Edd.). Other exx. are P Hamb I. 27.5 (B.C. 250) τὴν δὲ τιμὴν οὔπω ἐκεκόμιστο, ";but he has not yet received the price,"; P Tebt II. 423.12 (early iii/A.D.) οὔπου (l. οὔπω) μοι ἐδήλωσας περ [ὶ τ ]ο ̣ύτου, ";you have not yet told me about it,"; and P Oxy XIV. 1763.8 (after A.D. 222) οὔπω μέχρι σήμερον τὰ πλοῖα τῆς ἀνώνας ἐξῆλθεν. In PSI IV. 423.13 (iii/B.C.) the two parts of the word are separated—οὐ γάρ πω εἰργασμένοι εἰ ̣σὶν κτλ.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Fifth Week after Epiphany