the Week of Proper 19 / Ordinary 24
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #323 - ἀνάδειξις
- a pointing out, a public showing forth
- a proclaiming, announcing, inaugurating of such as are elected to office
ἀνά-δειξις, εως, ἡ,
1. showing forth: esp. public proclamation or appointment to an office, ἡ τῶν ὑπάτων ἀ. Plu. Ma 8; τῶν συναρχόντων ἡ ἀναγόρευσις καὶ ἀ. CG 12: abs., ἡ ἀ. the election, Cat.Mi. 44, 46.
2. ἡ ἀ τοῦ διαδήματος ceremony of coronation, Plb. 15.25.11 (pl.); dedication of temple, Str. 8.6.23.
3. declaration, χρόνων LXX Si. 43.6.
II (from Pass.) manifestation, of Osiris, D.S. 1.85, but rather from Act. in ἡ ἀ. αὐτοῦ πρὸς τὸν Ἰσραήλ Luke 1:80.
ἀνάδειξις, (εως, ἡ (ἀναδείκνυμι, which see), a pointing out, public showing forth; τῶν χρόνων, Sir. 43:6. a proclaiming, announcing, inaugurating, of such as are elected to office (Plutarch, Mark 8 ὑπάτων ἀνάδειξις (cf. Polybius 15, 26, 7)): Luke 1:80 (until the day when he was announced (A. V. of his shewing) to the people as the forerunner of the Messiah; this announcement he himself made at the command of God, Luke 3:2ff).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
**† ἀνά -δειξις , -εως , ἡ
(< ἀναδείκνυμι ),
[in LXX: Sirach 43:6 *;]
a sheaving forth, announcement: Luke 1:80.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.