the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #3100 - μαθητεύω
- to be a disciple of one
- to follow his precepts and instructions
- to make a disciple
- to teach, instruct
I to be pupil, τινι to one, Plu. 2.832c.
II trans., make a disciple of, instruct, πάντα τὰ ἔθνη Matthew 28:19, cf. Acts 14:21 : — Pass., Matthew 13:52.
μαθητεύω: 1 aorist ἐμαθήτευσα; 1 aorist passive ἐμαθητευθην; (μαθητής);
1. intransitive, τίνι, to be the disciple of one; to follow his precepts and instruction: Matthew 27:57 R G WH marginal reading, cf. John 19:38 (so Plutarch, mor., pp. 832 b. (vit. Antiph. 1), 837 c. (vit. Isocrates 10); Jamblichus, vit. Pythag c. 23).
2. transitive (cf. Winers Grammar, p. 23 and § 38, 1; (Buttmann, § 131, 4)) to make a disciple; to teach, instruct: τινα, Matthew 28:19; Acts 14:21; passive with a dative of the person whose disciple one is made, Matthew 27:57 L T Tr WH text; μαθητευθείς εἰς τήν βασιλείαν τῶν οὐρανοῦ (see γραμματεύς, 3), Matthew 13:52 Rec., where long since the more correct reading τῇ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν was adopted, but without changing the sense; (yet Lachmann inserts ἐν).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
1. intrans. (as prop. vb. in -εύω , and so Plut., mor. 837 c. and elsew.), to be a disciple: c. dat., Matthew 27:57 (Rec., WH, mg.).
2. Trans., to make a disciple: c. acc, Matthew 28:19, Acts 14:21; pass., seq. dat., τ . Ἰησοῦ , Matthew 27:57 (WH, R); τ . βασιλείᾳ , Matthew 13:52.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
With the constr. of this late verb in Matthew 13:52 D μαθηθευθεὶς ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ τῶν οὐρανῶν, cf. the iv/A.D. Christian prayer in Neut. Studien für G. Heinrici (Leipzig, 1914), p. 69.24 ff. ὅτι κατηξίωσας ἡμᾶς τῆς ἁγίας κλήσεώς σου καὶ διδασκαλίας καὶ ἀνανήψεως (cf. 2 Timothy 2:26) μαθητευθῆναι ἐν σοφίᾳ καὶ συνέσει.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.