Consider helping today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #3000 - λατρεύω
- to serve for hire
- to serve, minister to, either to the gods or men and used alike of slaves and freemen
- in the NT, to render religious service or homage, to worship
- to perform sacred services, to offer gifts, to worship God in the observance of the rites instituted for his worship
- of priests, to officiate, to discharge the sacred office
Elean λατρείω (q.v.),
1. work for hire or pay, Sol. 13.48: to be in servitude, serve, X. Cyr. 3.1.36; παρά τινι Apollod. 2.6.3.
2. λ. τινί to be subject or enslaved to, S. Tr. 35, etc.: c. acc. pers., serve, E. IT 1115 (lyr.), f.l. in Id. El. 131: metaph., λ. πέτρᾳ, of Prometheus, A. Pr. 968; μόχθοις λατρεύων τοῖς ὑπερτάτοις βροτῶν S. OC 105; λ. νόμοις obey, X. Ages. 7.2; λ. καιρῷ, = Lat. temporibus inservire, Ps.-Phoc. 121; τῷ κάλλει λ. to be devoted to.., Isoc. 10.57; λ. ἡδονῇ Luc. Nigr. 15.
3. serve the gods with prayers and sacrifices, λ. Φοίβῳ E. Ion 152 (lyr.): c. acc. cogn., πόνον λ. τινί render due service, ib. 129 (lyr.); πόνον.. τόνδ' ἐλάτρευσα θεᾷ IG 2.1378.
(< λάτρις , a hired servant),
1. to work for hire.
2. to serve; in cl., also of divine service, to serve, worship, and so always in NT: c. dat. pers., τ . θεῷ , Matthew 4:10, Luke 4:8 (LXX), Acts 7:7; Acts 24:14; Acts 27:23, Hebrews 9:14, Revelation 7:15; Revelation 22:3; of idol worship (cf. Exodus 20:5, Ezekiel 20:32), Acts 7:42, Romans 1:25; τ . θεῷ . ἐν τ . πνεύματί μου , Romans 1:9; id. ἐν καθαρᾷ συνειδήσει , 2 Timothy 1:3; μετ᾿ εὐλαβείας κ . δέους , Hebrews 12:28; ἐν ὁσιότητι κ . δικαιοσύνῃ , Luke 1:74; (without θεῷ ) νηστείαις κ . δεήσεσι , Luke 2:37; πνεύματι θεοῦ , Philippians 3:3; absol., Acts 26:7; ὁ λατρεύων , the worshipper, Hebrews 9:9; Hebrews 10:2; of ministerial service, c. dat. rei, Hebrews 8:5; Hebrews 13:10.†
SYN.: λειτουργέω G3008, q.v.
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
λατρεύω in Biblical Greek always refers to the service or worship of the true God or of heathen divinities : see SH on Romans 1:9, where the relation of the verb to λειτουργέω is discussed. For its relation to δουλεύω see Thackeray Gr. i. p. 8 : cf. also Anz Subsidia, p. 296.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Second Week of Advent