the Week of Proper 4 / Ordinary 9
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #2663 - κατάπαυσις
- a putting to rest
- calming of the winds
- a resting place
- metaph. the heavenly blessedness in which God dwells, and of which he has promised to make persevering believers in Christ partakers after the toils and trials of life on earth are ended
κατά-παυσις, εως, ἡ,
I stopping: metaph., putting down, deposing, τυράννων Hdt. 5.38; τῆς βασιληΐης deposition from.., Id. 6.67; Κολλατίνου D.C. 46.49.
II rest, calm, LXX Isaiah 66:1, al.; place of rest, ib. Psalms 94:11(95).11, al.; αἱ κ. τῶν πνευμάτων Thphr. Vent. 18: metaph., allaying, στάσεως Phld. Mus. p.86 K.
κατάπαυσις, καταπαύσεώς, ἡ (καταπαύω, which see);
1. actively, a putting to rest: τῶν πνευμάτων, a calming of the winds Theophrastus, de ventis 18; τυράννων, removal from office Herodotus 5, 38.
2. In the Greek Scriptures (the Sept. several times for מְנוּחָה) intransitive, a resting, rest: ἡμέρα τῆς καταπαύσεώς, the day of rest, the sabbath, 2 Macc. 15:1; τόπος τῆς καταπαύσεώς μου, where I may rest, Acts 7:49. Metaphorically, ἡ κατάπαυσις τοῦ Θεοῦ, the heavenly blessedness in which God dwells, and of which he has promised to make persevering believers in Christ partakers after the toils and trials of life on earth are ended: Hebrews 3:11, 18; Hebrews 4:1, 3, 5, 10f (after Psalm 94:11
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
κατά -παυσις , -εως , ἡ
(< καταπαύω ),
[in LXX chiefly for H4496, Psalms 95:11, Isaiah 66:1, al.; ἡμέρα τῆς κ ., 2 Maccabees 15:1]
1. in cl., a putting to rest, causing to cease.
2. In LXX and NT, rest, repose: Acts 7:49 (LXX), Hebrews 3:11; Hebrews 3:18; Hebrews 4:1; Hebrews 4:3; Hebrews 4:5; Hebrews 4:10-11†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.