the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #256 - Ἀλφαῖος
Alphaeus = "changing"
- The father of Levi the publican (Mark 2:14
- The father of James the less, so called, one of the apostles
Ἀλφαῖος (WH Ἁλφ., see their Introductory § 408), , ὁ (חַלְפַּי cf. חַגַּי Ἀγγαῖος, Haggai 1:1), Alphoeus or Alpheus;
1. the father of Levi the publican: Mark 2:14, see Λευί, 4.
2. the father of James the less, so called, one of the twelve apostles: Matthew 10:3; Mark 3:18; Luke 6:15; Acts 1:13. He seems to be the same person who in John 19:25 (cf. Matthew 27:56; Mark 15:40) is called Κλωπᾶς after a different pronunciation of the Hebrew חלפי accusative to which cheth (ח) was changed into kappa κ', as פֶּסַח φασεκ, 2 Chronicles 30:1. Cf. Ἰάκωβος, 2; (B. D. American edition under the word
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
(WH, Ἀλ -), -ου , ὁ
(Aram. חַלְפַּי ),
1. Father of Levi: Mark 2:14.
2. Father of James: Matthew 10:3, Mark 3:13, Luke 6:15, Acts 1:13.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.