Click to donate today!
1910 New Catholic Dictionary
Sisters of Saint Joseph -(Philadelphia)
Established in 1847, when four members of the community at Carondelet, in response to Bishop Kenrick's appeal, took charge of an orphan asylum in Philadelphia. Independent mother-house erected in 1858. Autonomy preserved, under episcopal direction, in 1863 when the Sisters of Carondelet formed a generalate. Received papal approbation in 1895. The sisters manages parochial elementary and high schools, a college, academies, industrial and commercial schools, an orphanage, a deaf-mute institute, day nursery, and settlement house in the archdioceses of Baltimore and Philadelphia, and the dioceses of Harrisburg, Newark, and Trenton. The mother-house is at Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Entry for 'Sisters of Saint Joseph -(Philadelphia)'. 1910 New Catholic Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/ncd/s/sisters-of-saint-joseph--philadelphia.html. 1910.
the Week of Proper 14 / Ordinary 19