the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Morrish Bible Dictionary
There are few places in Palestine which resemble the valleys of other countries. Two of the words translated 'valley' are also translated 'plain,' and signify broad plains between the hills. Two other words refer to the narrow dales or ravines through which the streams run in winter, but many of which are dry in summer, now called wadys.
The words are
1. biqah, 'valley or plain,' which is the word used for the valleys or plains of Aven, Jericho, Lebanon, Megiddo, Mizpeh, and Ono.
2. emeq, 'valley or plain,' more resembles an English 'valley': it is applied to Achor, Ajalon, Baca, Berachah, Beth-aram, 'of decision' ( Joel 3:14 ); Elah; 'of the giants' (Joshua 15:8; Joshua 18:16 ); Gibeon, Hebron, Jehoshaphat, Jezreel, Keziz, 'of the King,' or 'the King's Dale' (Genesis 14:17; 2 Samuel 18:18 ); Rephaim, Shaveh, Siddim, and Succoth.
3. gay, ge, ravine, narrow glen: applied to Charashim, Hamon-Gog, Hinnom, Son of Hinnom, Jiphthah-el, Zeboim, and Zephathah; and used symbolically for 'Valley of the Mountains' ( Zechariah 14:5 ); 'of the passengers' (Ezekiel 39:11 ); 'of salt' (2 Samuel 8:13; 2 Kings 14:7; 1 Chronicles 18:12; 2 Chronicles 25:11; Psalm 60 title ); 'of craftsmen' (Nehemiah 11:35 ); 'of slaughter' (Jeremiah 7:32; Jeremiah 19:6 ); 'of vision' (Isaiah 22:1,5 ); 'of the shadow of death.' (Psalm 23:4 .)
4. nachal, gorge, wady, often translated 'brook' and 'river': the valleys are Eshcol, Gerar, Shittim, Sorek, Zared.
5. shephelah, translated 'vale' and 'valley,' but not specified by any proper name. It refers to the lowlands that lie midway between the highlands and the low plains of Judah. See CANAAN.
6. φάραγξ. "Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low," Luke 3:5 : a quotation from Isaiah 40:4 , where the Hebrew word is gay.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Yale, Valley'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/​dictionaries/​eng/​mbd/​y/yale-valley.html. 1897.