the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Charles Buck Theological Dictionary
The performance of the commands of a superior. Obedience to God, may be considered,
1. As virtual, which consists in a belief of the Gospel, of the holiness and equity of its precepts, of the truth of its promises, and a true repentance of all our sins.
2. Actual obedience, which is the practice and exercise of the several graces and duties of Christianity.
3. Perfect obedience, which is the exact conformity of our hearts and lives to the law of God, without the least imperfection. This last is only peculiar to a glorified state. The obligation we are under to obedience arises,
1. From the relation we stand in to God as creatures, Psalms 95:6 .
2. From the law he hath revealed to us in his word, Psalms 119:3 . 2 Peter 1:1-21 .
3. From the blessings of his providence we are constantly receiving, Acts 14:17 . Psalms 145:1-21 :
4. From the love and goodness of god in the grand work of redemption, 1 Corinthians 6:20 . As to the nature of this obedience, it must be,
1. Active, not only avoiding what is prohibited, but performing what is commanded, Colossians 3:8; Colossians 3:10 .
2. Personal; for though Christ has obeyed the law for us as a covenant of works, yet he hath not abrogated it as a rule of life, Romans 7:22 . Romans 3:31 .
3. Sincere, Psalms 51:6 . 1 Timothy 1:5 .
4. Affectionate, springing from love, and not from terror, 1 John 5:19 . 1 John 2:5 . 2 Corinthians 5:1-21 .
5. Diligent, not slothfully, Galatians 1:16 . Psalms 18:44 . Romans 12:11 .
6. Conspicuous and open, Philippians 2:15 . Matthew 5:16 .
7. Universal; not one duty, but all must be performed, 2 Peter 1:5; 2 Peter 1:10 .
8. Perpetual, at all times, places, and occasions, Romans 2:7 . Galatians 6:9 . The advantages of obedience are these,
1. It adorns the Gospel, Titus 2:10 .
2. It is evidential of grace, 2 Corinthians 5:17 .
3. It rejoices the hearts of the ministers and people of God, 3 John 1:2 . 2 Thess 1: 19, 20.
4. It silences gainsayers, 2 Peter 1:11-12 .
5. Encourages the saints, while it reproves the lukewarm, Matthew 5:16 .
6. Affords peace to the subject of it, Psalms 25:12-13 . Acts 24:16 .
7. It powerfully recommends religion, as that which is both delightful and practicable, Colossians 1:10 .
8. It is the forerunner and evidence of eternal glory, Romans 6:22 . Revelation 22:1-21 .
See HOLINESS, SANCTIFICATION; Charnock's works, vol. 11: p. 1212; Tillotson's Sermons, ser. 122, 123; Saurin's Sermons, vol. 1: ser. 4; Ridgly's Body of Divinity, qu. 92.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Buck, Charles. Entry for 'Obedience'. Charles Buck Theological Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/​dictionaries/​eng/​cbd/​o/obedience.html. 1802.