the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #5662 - עֹבַדְיָהוּ
Obadiah = “servant of Jehovah”
1) the 4th of the 12 minor prophets; nothing personal is known of him but it is probable that he was contemporary with Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel
1a) the prophetic book by him; prophesies against Edom
2) father of Ishmaiah, one of the chiefs of Zebulun in the time of David
3) a Merarite Levite overseer of the work of restoring the temple in the time of king Josiah of Judah
4) chief of the household of king Ahab of Israel; an devout worshipper of Jehovah who at risk to his own life hid over 100 prophets during the persecution of Jezebel
5) a descendant of David
6) a chief of the tribe of Issachar
7) a Benjamite, one of the 6 sons of Azel and a descendant of king Saul
8) a Levite, son of Shemaiah and a descendant of Jeduthun
9) a Gadite chief, the 2nd of the lion-faced Gadites who joined David at Ziklag
10) a prince of Judah in the time of king Jehoshaphat of Judah
11) a priest, son of Jehiel of the sons of Joab who returned from exile with Ezra
12) a gatekeeper in the time of Nehemiah
13) one of the men who sealed the covenant with Nehemiah
13a) perhaps the same as 12
1 chief of Ahab's household 1 Kings 18:3 (twice in verse); 1 Kings 18:4,5,6,7,16, ᵐ5 Αβδ(ε)ιου.
2 father of one of the chiefs of Zebulun 1 Chronicles 27:19, ᵐ5 Αβδ(ε)ιου (genitive).
3 a Levite overseer in time of Josiah 2 Chronicles 34:12, ᵐ5 Αβδ(ε)ια, A ᵐ5 L Αβδιας. II. עֹבַדְיָה:
1 the prophet Obadiah , ᵐ5 Οβδ(ε)ιου (genitive), Αβδ(ε)ιου.
2 a descendant of David 1 Chronicles 3:21, ᵐ5 Αβδεια, ᵐ5 L Οβδιας.
3 chief of tribe of Issachar 1 Chronicles 7:3, ᵐ5 Μειβδεια, A Οβδια, ᵐ5 L Αβδια.
4 a Benjamite 1 Chronicles 8:38; 1 Chronicles 9:44, ᵐ5 Αβδ(ε)ια.
5 a Levite 1 Chronicles 9:16 ("" עַבְדָּא Nehemiah 11:17), ᵐ5 Αβδεια A Οβδια, ᵐ5 L Αβια.
6 a Gadite chief 1 Chronicles 12:9, ᵐ5 Αβδ(ε)ια.
7 a prince in time of Jehoshaphat 2 Chronicles 17:7, ᵐ5 Αβ(δ)ιαν.
8 priestly companion of Ezra Ezra 8:9; Nehemiah 10:6, ᵐ5 Αδεια, Αβ(α)δ(ε)ια, ᵐ5 L Αβδιου, Αβιας.
9 a doorkeeper Nehemiah 12:25, א Οβδιας, ᵐ5 L Αβδιας.
עֹבַדְיָהוּ & עֹבַדְיָה m. (“worshipper of Jehovah”), compare Arab. عبد الله), [Obadiah], pr.n. of several men, the most celebrated of whom is the prophet of this name, contemporary with Jeremiah (Obadiah 1:1), 1 Kings 18:3; 1 Chronicles 3:21, 7:3 8:38 9:16, 44 1 Chronicles 9:44, 12:9 27:19 2 Chronicles 17:7, 34:12 Ezra 8:9; Nehemiah 10:6. LXX. Ἀβδίας (which is properly from עַבְדִּיָּה).
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.