the First Week of Advent
Click here to join the effort!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #5528 - χόρτος
- the place where grass grows and animals graze
- grass, herbage, hay, provender
- of green grass
- of growing crops
enclosed place (v. sub fin.), but always with collat. notion of a feeding-place: in Il., farmyard, in which the cattle were kept, αὐλῆς ἐν χόρτῳ 11.774; αὐλῆς ἐν χόρτοισι 24.640.
2. generally, any feeding-ground, pasturage, freq. in pl., χόρτοι λέοντος, of Nemea, Pi. O. 13.44; χόρτοι εὔδενδροι E. IT 134 (lyr.); χόρτος οὐρανοῦ the expanse of heaven, Poet. ap. Hsch.
II fodder, provender, esp. for horses and cattle, Hdt. 5.16 (of fish); θηρῶν ὀρείων χόρτον, οὐχ ἵππων λέγεις E. Alc. 495; grass, Hes. Op. 606, E. Rh. 771, 1 Corinthians 3:12; χ. κοῦφος hay, X. An. 1.5.10; χ. ἐβλάστησεν, ἐξηράνθη, Matthew 13:26; ; ἄνθος χόρτου Eph_1:10 : opp. σῖτος (food for man), Hdt. 9.41, X. Cyr. 8.6.12; χόρτον ἔχει ἔπὶ τοῦ κέρατος as translation of the Lat. proverb, foenum habet in cornu, of a dangerous ox, Plu. Crass. 7. green crop, [γῆ] ἐσπαρμένη χόρτῳ PTeb. 27.72 (ii B. C.), al.
2. Poet., food generally, δούλιος χ. Hippon. 35.6, cf. E. Cyc. 507 (lyr.), Crates Theb. 10; cf. χορτάζω. (Cf. Lat. hortus, Welsh garth 'fold, enclosure', Irish gort 'crop', 'field'.)
χόρτος, χόρτου, ὁ;
1. the place where grass grows and animals glaze: Homer, Iliad 11, 774; 24, 640.
2. from Hesiod down, grass, herbage, hay, provender: of green grass, Matthew 6:30; Matthew 14:19; Luke 12:28; John 6:10; James 1:10; 1 Peter 1:24 (from Isaiah 40:6ff); Revelation 9:4; χόρτος χλωρός, Mark 6:39; Revelation 8:7; χόρτος of growing crops, Matthew 13:26; Mark 4:28; of hay, 1 Corinthians 3:12. (the Sept. for חָצִיר, grass, and עֶשֶׂב.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
χόρτος , -ου , ὁ ,
1. an enclosure, a feeding place (Hom.).
2. food, esp. for cattle, grass: Matthew 13:26; Matthew 14:19, Mark 4:28; Mark 6:39, Luke 12:28, John 6:10, 1 Corinthians 3:12, James 1:10-11, 1 Peter 1:24 (LXX), Revelation 9:4; χ . χλωρός , Mark 6:39, Revelation 8:7.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.