the First Week of Advent
free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #3541 - νόθος
- illegitimate, bastard
- one born, not in lawful wedlock, but of a concubine or female slave
νόθ-ος, η, ον, also ος, ον (Call. Fr. 279),
1. bastard, baseborn, i.e. born of a slave or concubine, freq. in Il. (never in Od.), ν. υἱός Il. 2.727, etc.; παῖδες ν. Hdt. 8.103, Pl. Ap. 27d; opp. γνήσιος, Il. 11.102, Ar. Av. 1650; ὅδ', εἰ ν. τις, gnhsi/ois i)/son sqe/nei S. Fr. 87; νόθοι καὶ οὐχ υἱοί ἐστε Hebrews 12:8 : fem., κούρη νόθη Il. 13.173.
2. at Athens, child of a citizen father and an alien mother, D. 23.213, etc.; νόθος πρὸς μητρός Plu. Them. 1.
3. pl., in Egypt, a class of temple-attendants, Wilcken Chr. 66 (iii B.C.).
4. of animals, cross-bred, πρόβατα PHib. 1.32.15 (iii B.C.).
1. generally, spurious, counterfeit, supposititious, of persons and things, λογισμῷ τινι ν. Pl. Ti. 52b, cf. Dam. Proverbs 26:1-28; ν. παιδείᾳ Pl. Lg. 741a; ν. ἡδοναί Id. R. 587c; ἀοιδαί Call.l.c.; νόθον ἧπαρ ὁ σπλήν Arist. PA 669b28; αἱ ν. πλευραί the false ribs, Paus. 1.35.6, Gal. UP 4.9, Aret. SA 2.6; ν. πυρετός Gal. 11.30; ν. σάλπιγξ, of a serpent's hiss, Nonn. D. 35.214; ν. φέγγος, of the moon, opp. γνήσιον, of the sun, Ph. 1.628; ν. ἱματισμός meretricious, Peripl.M. Rubr. 39,49. Adv. -θως insincerely, disingenuously, LXX 3 Maccabees 3:17, cf. Hsch.
2. of literary works, spurious, Porph. Plot. 16.
νόθος, νοθη, νοθον, illegitimate, bastard, i. e. born, not in lawful wedlock, but of a concubine or female slave: Hebrews 12:8; cf. Bleek at the passage (Wis. 4:3; from Homer down.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
** νόθος , -η , -ον ,
[in LXX: Wisdom of Solomon 4:3 *;]
a bastard, base born, i.e. born of a slave or concubine: Hebrews 12:8.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.