the First Week of Advent
free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #2500 - Ἰωσῆς
Joses = "exalted"
- one of the ancestors of Christ, Lk 3:
- Joses, the brother of Jesus, Mk 6:
- Joses, the son of Mary, the sister of the mother of Jesus, Mt. 27:
- Joses, a Levite, Acts 4:36
Ἰωσῆς , -ῆ
(Rec. -ή Luke 3:29; AV, Jose; see Ἰησοῦς , 3), and -ῆτος (Mk, ll c.), ὁ ,
1. brother of our Lord: Mark 6:3, Matthew 13:55 (Rec., see Ἰωσήφ ).
2. Son of Mary: Matthew 27:56 (-σήφ ), WH, txt), Mark 15:40; Mark 15:47
3. see Βαρνάβας .†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
In Preisigke 1742, a Cyrenaic inscr., Ἰωσῆς Κρίσπου is mentioned along with Λύκα Γαίου and Σάρρα προσήλυτος. BGU III. 715i. 4 (A.D. 101–2) Ἰωσῆ ̣ς ὁ καὶ Τεύφιλο (ς) : cf. Acts 13:9.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.